September 28, 2013

CLIPPED: PASTA PERSPECTIVE

Barilla Ad
IN TWEET: OUR SUGGESTION FOR THE NEXT BARILLA AD CAMPAIGN.

UPDATE: 11/4/2013: Looks like the bottom line at Barilla might be taking a hit. As Think Progress and others have reported, the pasta peddlers are in a bit of a damage control panic. Too bad, so sad. As millions of consumers already know, finding a hate-free pasta brand is remarkably easy. While Barilla scrambles to throw together a silly "diversity" thing, I'll keep enjoying more delicious Prince Pasta. Barilla, vaffanculo!

At the request of Guido Barilla, I happily returned two boxes of his pasta and two bottles of his sauce to my local super market for a full refund. Given that I don’t fit his stated definition of a family and would never want to sully him with my dirty gay money, I simply switched to Prince pasta (happy 100th).

The main competitors to Barilla in the US, Ronzoni (like Prince, owned by New World Pasta) and Bertolli, have both jumped on the “dump Barilla” bandwagon and I couldn’t agree with them more. Sure, it’s a marketing stunt but at least I know where they stand and can feel better about more of the products I spend my money on.

As you’ll see in the video below, at least one of these companies was on the right side of the issue long before Guido acted like such a…well…guido. Enjoy this clever, nicely produced ad by the Bertolli folks that was made way back in 2009. Barilla would hate it.